Indians still prefer post office schemes
Post office savings schemes, a traditional favourite with Indians, are likely to retain their popularity, despite the launch of various schemes by banks and the government, including the Pradhan Mantri Bima Suraksha and Jeevan Jyoti. However, it is still too early to arrive at any conclusion.
“Post office savings are traditionally used by the masses who cannot get access to banks. It will continue to be popular and flourish with the addition of more technology like those offered by bank,” Kavery Benarjee, secretary, department of posts, told HT.
Going forward, India Post will introduce core banking services across India. The service is currently available only in select post offices.
“The growth in accounts is reflection of the faith and trust that consumers have on us despite banks opening new branches and introducing new schemes,” Banerjee said.
Post office schemes are attractive since only 5% of the corpus is invested in savings account. The remaining 95% is put in monthly income schemes and long-term deposits with higher rate of interest, she said.
Moreover, the new schemes introduced by the government are being extended to post office savings account holders.
Most of the Jan Surkasha schemes are already available at post offices. Post office account holders will also be able to subscribe to the Atal Pension Yojana (APY) in the next 4-5 days without any overdraft facility, similar to the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna.
“We are not mandated to give overdraft facility,” Banerjee said.
Account holders will be given ATM cards, besides availing money-transfer facility and anywhere anytime banking.
Banerjee is also confident that account holders will be able to encash a certificate anywhere in India within 15-20 minutes.
Source: hindustantimes, 30.10.2015